Recipe by ME- inspired by www.marthastewart.com
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 giant zucchini
- 1 lb. fresh sausage, casing removed
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced garlic
- ½ breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice giant zucchini in half, scrape seeds and soft flesh from zucchini, reserve a half-cup. Place zucchini, cut sides up, on baking dish.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add sausage and onion powder. Cook, breaking up sausage until browned.
- Add garlic and zucchini flesh, cook until garlic is fragrant, about one minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in remaining ingredients.
- Divide mixture between the two zucchini halves. Top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, drizzle olive oil on top.
- Bake until filling is firm and each zucchini is tender, 35-45 minutes.
Please note, I followed a Martha Stewart recipe (http://www.marthastewart.com/1014060/sausage-stuffed-zucchini) but made quite a few changes, so I have shared my version of the recipe with you. I’m sure the Martha Stewart version is much better but I made revisions based on what I had and it came out very good. The great thing about zucchini boats is you can pretty much do whatever you want! For my next attempt I think I’m going to try chicken, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese. Have fun, see what you can create!