This DIY recycling project is not only a great way to put new life into old plates, but makes for a unique gift for any family or friend. While a Giving Plate is traditionally a Christmas gift, it can (and should) be given throughout the year. Follow these simple instructions to create your very own personalized Giving Plate!
- Light colored plate—white or pastels work best
- Sharpie pens in various colors, allowing you to customize your plate
- Oven with rack
- Using your best handwriting, write the following poem on your plate using the Sharpie pens:
“This plate shall have no owner for its journey never ends,
It travels in a circle of our family and friends.
It carries love from home to home for everyone to share,
The food that’s placed upon it was made with love and care.
So please enjoy what’s on the plate, then fill it up again.
Then pass along the love it holds to your family and friends.”
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake the plate for 25-30 minutes to set the marker.
- After plate has cooled, wash by hand.
- Fill the plate with your most delicious treats (brownies, fruit, or cookies are suggested) and share with someone you love.
Note: Before giving the plate, include a card with a small note and include the item given, date, and location. Tracking the plate’s travels is almost as fun as eating the treats!
Do you have an item (or a collection of items) that you are looking to recycle? Send a picture of your products over and I just might use them in a future project! Pictures should be emailed to email@example.com. Please be sure to include your name and contact info.